After a grueling workout it is essential to re-fuel your body using the best post workout supplement you can get your hands on so you can maximize the effectiveness of you training routine. Supplements are a big part of any bodybuilder or other athlete’s workout routine. These products are designed to improve fitness results in one way or another, from protecting the body against damage to boosting health in general. Just as supplements are taken for a variety of reasons, they’re also taken at different times.
It’s not unusual to consume a daily protein shake as a breakfast replacement, or take a performance-enhancing supplement just before a workout. Post workout supplements are also an important part of the exercise process, as these help the body recover.
How Post Workout Supplements Work
When you lift weights, the body takes damage. The muscles break down during exercise, forming microscopic tears that need to be repaired before being worked again. This is part of the process that builds healthy muscle, as those fibers that tear are older, less healthy muscle fibers. As the body heals, it creates new and healthier fibers that repair and grow the muscle after training. This process is why muscles feel sore and fatigued after a workout, and why most sources recommend a downtime of at least a day before exercising the same muscle group. Though the body will naturally heal itself, the best results for repairing and building muscle require the use of post workout supplements.
These supplements will provide the body with the proteins and other helpful nutrients it needs to build strong, healthy muscle. Supplements can offset the process of catabolism, which basically results in the body eating its own muscle due to insignificant nutrition or caloric deficit. Many bodybuilders try to stave off catabolism, but ruin their potential gains by eating after a workout. The body needs carbohydrates and proteins to repair itself after lifting weights, but fat can inhibit muscle growth. Fat slows down the digestion process, meaning that the muscles will need to wait longer to receive the carbohydrates and proteins they need. Since most foods that contain both carbohydrates and proteins also contain fat, eating a meal after a workout is inefficient. Post workout supplements give the body the nutrition it needs without also introducing fats that can ruin your results.
Proper Post Workout Supplement Use
The first 90 minutes following an intense workout are considered the “post workout window,” during which the body not only needs nutrients to repair itself but also has an increased capability to absorb those nutrients. This is another reason to use post workout supplements, since using the right supplements during this crucial time can improve results. Bigger and more impressive gains are possible by utilizing the post workout window with supplements, and muscle recovery time can be greatly decreased. Many professional bodybuilders use post workout supplements when trying to train and gain quickly in preparation for a competition.
Among the nutrients frequently included in these supplements are creatine, compounds that aid glucose replenishment such as waxy maize and vanadyl sulfate, and proteins and amino acid compounds. Whey protein is a popular choice due to its fast digestion properties, as is creatine. Regardless of which ingredients you choose, adding the best post workout supplement to your fitness routine can make a huge impact on your results.
Key Post Workout Supplement Components
So now its time to select the best post workout supplement that is currently available online. This was a difficult task to take on because there are hundreds and hundreds of good supplements to choose from and most of which contain nearly the same core components, however after careful inspection, the best post workout supplement slowly began to emerge from the rest of the bunch. So what do I look for in choosing the best one?
1. Whey Protein – Whey protein is preferred because of the faster absorption rate into the body. I prefer a Hydrolyzed whey because of the faster absorption rates. Hydrolyized basically means that the protein chains have been hyrolyzed or broken down into smaller segments that are easier for the body to absorb and process. This is particularly important to us because we need to capitalize on our 90 minute window when the body is primed for nutrient absorption.
2. Glutamine – All through out your workout your muscle burned up most of the available glutamine in your body so it is very important to replenish your depleted supply as quick as possible so you can avoid turning catabolic and burn up valuable muscle in your body.
3. Carbohydrates – It is just as important to consume carbs post workout as it is to consume protein itself because the carbohydrates will effectively raise your insulin levels so your body can avoid going into a catabolic (muscle break-down) state due to a lack of nutrients. Many reports have shown that spiking your insulin by taking dextrose powder before consuming your shake helps to stop catabolism.
4. Amino Acids – Amino acids are the basic building blocks of muscle synthesis and although protein is the chemical compound of amino acids, consuming a higher dose of amino’s can greatly increase muscle repair, thus speeding up recovery while capitalizing on building muscle.
5. Creatine – We should all understand the importance of creatine and the benefits that it carries to bodybuilders. Creatine is used by the body to create ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which powers the entire body. Being that you just depleted your ATP in your body, you should probably stack up on some creatine so you can recharge your muscles.
Anything else? Sure, your body is complex and after your workout it will need a full spectrum of nutrients including your daily vitamins and minerals which you should be getting from a multi-vitamin and your diet. You will probably be dehydrated so drink plenty of water as well as consume plenty of fiber to properly digest your high protein diet. Aside from that, be sure to get plenty of sleep (8 hrs) to give your body time to heal.
The Best Post Workout Supplement